Thursday, July 31, 2014

Immortal Fear - 5.1


Image: http://pastelhospital.tumblr.com/page/2
< < Back to Immortal Fear - 4.2
I opened my eyes, sitting up with a gasp.  It wasn’t the first unexpected thing to happen to me today.
The most disorienting thing about being unconscious isn’t, Where am I? it’s, Why am I? I looked around and was overwhelmed by the musky smell of old people.  An assisted living community? No. A hospital.
That’s what they should call hospitals anyway, I didn’t think I’d be living without their assistance.  I took stock of my injuries.
My right arm was in a cast at my elbow, raised above me, while my left was strung with IV fluids and slung to my chest. Flexing my left hand, it worked alright, though a little numb from lack of use. I struggled to get my arm out of the sling then reached out to examine my body beneath the hospital blankets. I panicked briefly as I reached down between my legs at the unfamiliar object attached, then let out a sigh of relief.  There has got to be a better way to have an invalid man relieve himself than jamming a tube in his dick. I mean really, it wasn’t about the discomfort.  A man’s just gotta have some dignity.  I guess some guys are into that kind of stuff though. I gingerly removed the catheter. A cast covered my right leg.
Nothing to it, right?
I wiggled the fingers on my right hand. No pain there, I thought and tentatively raised it, relieving the weight from the sling holding it above my head. My wrist was fine it seemed, the doctors must have thought so too, as they hadn’t placed it in the cast. I tried to test the extension of my elbow. I remember very clearly where the break happened and there was no sign of lose bone as I felt my arm press against the cast. I looked up at the IV to be sure I wasn’t simply high. My meds were draped on a long metal poll with a box about halfway up. I was most likely doped up on narcotics.
Medical dramas like to paint a picture of a hospital that isn’t really fair.  Sure, a hospital is where you go if you’re sick or hurt and people will care for you.  I mean, they don’t even ask for payment upfront if you’re in as bad a shape as I must have been in, but on T.V. there’s always bright, crisp lighting. Glass doors so the doctors can keep an eye on all the patients at once.  They look clean and modern, like people are there to do science.
By contrast, pastel colored flower wallpaper adorned my room.  It was ancient; its color bleached out from the sun, which was odd in-and-of-itself because the only light entering the room was through windows to my right, high up toward the ceiling.  It felt more like a dungeon for 1950’s art than a place of healing.  A curtain hung from a track attached to the ceiling giving me, what I could only assume, was an administrators idea of privacy.
The job had gone bad but I needed to decipher what was real and what was a product of my over stressed mind.  My body ached faintly but a ball of warmth swam in my stomach.  I thought back to the shape I was in coming into the operating room; these must have been some serious pain meds.  The truth, the real question that rocked my mind, fought to the surface.  I had just been in Hell fighting off demon dogs and the creature, Sigyn?  I lay back in bed, exasperated, trying to wrap my head around it all.
“Sweet merciful Maker,” I voice intoned.  I looked up to see a man no older than me. He wore a black windbreaker and carried a cup of coffee in one hand while crossing himself with another.  He looked at me, stunned.  If not for his priest collar, I’d have assumed he was just another beach bum. His combed red hair slicked to the side showed the respectability of his station but his shaggy beard left me wondering if it was just casual indifference.  He hurried over to my side and sat on a chair I hadn’t yet noticed, a warm smile lit his face.
“Well, Son, aren’t you the Lord’s miracle at work?” His voice was thick and Irish.
I squinted at the irony of his words, “I’m not sure I would put it that way.”
His laugh ambled forth from deep within, “When we left the ambulance you looked no better than haggis!” he had a glint of familiarity in his eye.  He looked as though trying not to embrace me due to my condition.
“I’m sorry, do we know each other?” I asked, beginning to feel annoyed.
“William.” He said, switching coffee from his right to left hand, extending it to shake. “Father William, I suppose.”
I eyed his outstretched hand then fell back onto my pillow ignoring it.
That apparently didn’t bother him because he went on in the same friendly tone, “We’ve all been calling you Joe, does that bother you?.” He waited expecting me to answer the unsaid question. I didn’t see any reason to answer it, “I suppose Joe will do, then.”
“How long have I been here?”
“Three days, actually.  It truly is the Lord’s will to see you up this soon.  Why, you’re lucky to be alive at all.  As a point of fact, I read you your last rights at the scene.”
“I remember the accident.” I started, remembering his words.  More specifically, I recalled my annoyance with his presence. “I’m sorry I don’t remember.”
“Doctors say some memory loss is to be expected,” he said.  The smile, I was growing aware, was a permanent feature of his face. “Though who can be sure you were even conscious by the time I arrived.”
Three days. In three days, I had experienced some hellish nightmares.  I had to admit though, it was terribly unlikely that I could have recovered so quickly from that accident.  Seeing my body in the operating room, though for all I knew that could have been a dream as well – my mind trying to deal with the trauma to my body.  I’ve had some pretty lucid dreams but the nagging feeling that it stemmed from some sort of reality were hard to shake.
“It truly was the work of God,” Father Williams said, smiling down at me.  He had mistaken my troubled thoughts for reverence.
“How bad is it?” I asked.
“Well,” he began, “your arm was broken as well as your hip. They took you off intubation last night. You had several broken ribs and a punctured lung. When I came in last night they seemed surprised you were able to breathe on your own. I should probably go let the doctors know you’re awake.” He started for the door.
I laid back and waited for the bad news.
A nurse was the first to enter; she didn’t really pay me much mind, just went straight for the monitors and checked my vitals and medication levels. A clean cut guy in a white over coat came in next, followed by Father Williams.
“With the speed of your recovery I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised,” he said. He leaned over with his penlight and flashed it into my eyes.
I squinted back, “Easy, Doc.”
“Sorry,” he said absently, “I’m just checking for pupil response.”
He clicked his light off and moved on to the stethoscope pressing lightly onto my chest. “Does that hurt?” he asked.
“It’s a little cold.”
He looked over at the nurse.
“His dosage isn’t that high,” she said.
“His pupils are responsive as well.”
Father Williams sat back watching the whole scene, grinning from ear to ear.
“You guys want to let me in on your little secret?” I asked.
“You had three broken ribs on your left side. We couldn’t surgically repair them due to your loss of blood prior to surgery. You should be in a lot more pain than you are.”
“Well, the rib fairy came and left me a butt-load of medical bills, but missed one? I must be a total badass.”
“I suppose it does,” he said, looking at my chart. “I’d like to double check some test results, but it seems like we’ll be able to discharge you in a couple days, Mr. Adams.”
I wasn’t expecting them to have one of my aliases. I looked to Father Williams who gestured me to go with it. I looked back to the doctor just as he was setting down my chart. “Uhh… call me Joe.”
He nodded as if expecting that. “I’ll refer you to a physical therapist that you should speak with immediately. The sooner you get started on your recovery, the more likely you’ll regain full function of your extremities.”
“Well thanks, Doc, but if you don’t mind, I’m sure the good Father here is excited to get me home. The sooner I can be discharged, the better,” I said. Father Williams shot me a worried look.
“You do realize, recovery from injuries this severe takes an incredible amount of time,” the doctor said. “We want to keep you here for observation; to be sure there aren’t any of the usual complications.”
“I understand, Doc,” I said. “I’d really like to get some air though. Any chance we can take a stroll in a wheel chair?”
“I would prefer you didn’t. With your injuries, it’s not out of the question that you’re recovery is temporary and the trauma will return once you’ve been conscious for a few hours.”
I gave him a level look. I picked up my right arm, cast and all, and wiggled my fingers and wrist at the other end. “A short ride won’t do me any harm. Really, I feel pretty good.”
“I can help him out of the bed, doctor,” Father Williams chimed in. “He’s my brother, you see. I know that look in his eye: Joseph won’t give up until he’s had his way.” He managed to hold onto that grin even through the lie.
“Family is family. He should be fine to move, there’s no signs of continued internal bleeding. I just don’t want to see him worn out on his first day back in the waking world.” He turned to leave, then, as if remembering at the last minute: “You really have made a miraculous recovery, Mr. Adams. Your brother never left your side. I’ll likely be publishing a case study on your file.”
“Please, could you list me anonymously?” I asked. “I’m not really one to seek out attention.”
He smiled then nodded, turning to leave the room.
“I’ll bring in a wheelchair in just a couple minutes,” the nurse said. “Just make sure you hang on to your IV stand. You’re going to feel like you were hit by a truck once we start weaning you off of the pain medication.”
I stared at here in disbelief. She looked at me, then at Father Williams, who I’m sure had a look similar to mine.
“Sorry,” she said. “I guess that’s how you should feel.”
“Don’t worry about it. Besides, I’m pretty sure it was an SUV.”
She walked out of the room, abashed. A short time later, she wheeled a chair in and placed it at the foot of my bed. Once we were alone, I turned to Father Williams.
“You’ve got a pretty good poker face.”
“It’s not just choir boys that are called to the cloth, brother. You’re a gambling man yourself, though, expecting me to take you out of this place.”
I sat up, slowly putting my feet off the side of the bed.  Father Williams looked as though he were about to stop me, but in seeing the fluidity of my motion he let me continue on my own. I took in a deep breath, grabbed the IV rack and hoisted myself into a standing position. I was shaky, without a doubt, but I eased myself over and into the wheel chair that Williams brought to my side. He stood before me, arms outstretched ready to catch me if I were to fall.  I waved him off as I plopped myself into the chair with a sigh of relief.
To Immortal Fear 5.2 > >

No comments:

Post a Comment